Airports are perhaps one of the worst places to sleep in while you’re travelling – the lights are always on, there’s a constant stream of passengers and the seats are generally far from comfortable.
But some hubs around the world do try to make the experience more comfortable by providing facilities like quiet zones, sleeping pods or even hotels – but the availability and quality of what’s on offer varies greatly.
For those transiting through an airport and wondering whether they need to fear being delayed there – or book a hotel to retreat to – travel site Sleeping in Airports has conducted a survey that reveals the best and worst hubs to sleep in. You’re in luck if you’re passing through Singapore’s Changi, but the likes of Venice, Luton and Jeddah King Abdulaziz International Airport are, according to the report, a nightmare for anyone wanting 40 winks.
The best airports for sleeping in
1. Singapore Changi International Airport
As one of the best airports in the world, Singapore Changi Airport offers its passengers plenty of sleeping options
Singapore Changi Airport regularly wins awards for being the best airport in the world so it’s no surprise that it has also been voted the best place to sleep in.
As well as plenty of hotel and lounge options to choose from, there are also plenty of free spaces for sleeping.
For example, you can head to one of the rest zones where there are reclining loungers or try one of the complimentary massage chairs.
2. Seoul Incheon International Airport, South Korea
Passengers travelling through Seoul’s Incheon Airport are able to shower for free if they end up spending the night there
Seoul’s Incheon International Airport is another hub that offers its guests access to rest zones.
There are reclining chairs in these areas but there is also plenty of arm-rest free seating in other parts of the airport where you can simply take a nap.
But perhaps one of the best facilities are the free showers where you can refresh before your next flight.
3. Tallinn International Airport, Estonia
Tallinn International Airport offers its passengers a variety of seats, including bean bag chairs and free sleeping pods
Tallinn International Airport is self-proclaimed to be the coziest airport in the world and the travellers say it feels like home, according to Sleeping in Airports.
For budget-conscious travellers, there are free sleeping pods for a nap.
But, unusually, there are also a variety of other seating options, including bean bag chairs.
4. Tokyo Haneda International Airport, Japan
Tokyo Haneda Airport offers its passengers padded seats and benches for rest and some even have privacy screens
Tokyo Haneda International Airport doesn’t have flashy amenities but it offers plenty of quality essentials according to Sleeping in Airports.
There are many padded seats and benches to choose from around the airport.
And in some cases, the seats are even partially sheltered by screens to offer passengers extra privacy.
5. Helsinki-Vantaa Airport, Finland
Airports are perhaps one of the worst places to sleep in while you’re travelling but some are more comfortable than others. Above, the sleeping pods in Helsinki-Vantaa Airport
At Helsinki-Vantaa Airport, it was the sleeping pods that won the hub its praise from travellers.
As well as a space for rest, they are also spacious enough for people to store their belongings in.
Aside from the sleeping pods, passengers could also rest on the long padded benches or the reclining seats.
The worst airports to sleep in
1. Jeddah King Abdulaziz International Airport, Saudi Arabia
Overcrowding and lack of seating at Jeddah King Abdulaziz Airport is one of the biggest problems for the Saudi airport
Jeddah King Abdulaziz International Airport in Saudi Arabia was voted the worst airport for sleeping in.
Passengers complained about the lack of seating and the crowded atmosphere in the survey results.
Even the floor wasn’t an option. According to Sleeping in Airports, the ground was not only cold but also dirty.
2. London Luton International Airport, England
There are few benches that passengers can use for rest at London Luton Airport but there are at least 24-hour dining options
London Luton International Airport, which serves a number of low-cost airlines, also offers few sleepable benches.
While the passengers were being surveyed, there was also construction work that started at 3am.
However, on the plus side, there were 24-hour dining options.
3. Reykjavik-Keflavik International Airport, Iceland
Passengers have reported that Reykjavik-Keflavik Airport is now prohibiting passengers from sleeping at the airport
In the 2015 survey, Reykjavik-Keflavik International Airport was voted the worst hub to sleep in.
But according to Sleeping in Airports, there are now a number of signs that tell passengers that sleeping in the airport is prohibited.
And, to make matters worse, there are said to be security guards that enforce the no-sleeping policy as well.
4. Pisa Galileo Galilei International Airport, Italy
Passengers hoping to spend the night at Pisa Galileo Galilei Airport will be booted out as the airport closes between the hours of 12am to 4am
Pisa Galileo Galilei Airport is actually closed between the hours of 12am to 4am.
This means that any passengers arriving the night before for an early morning flight will be booted out.
And while some passengers are known to sleep outside the airport, there might be a chance that you’ll get soaked by the sprinkler system according to the survey results.
5. Venice Marco Polo International Airport, Italy
Passengers complained that their rest at Venice Marco Polo Airport was disturbed by several different things
Passengers surveyed by Sleeping in Airports complained that the seats were very uncomfortable at Venice Marco Polo Airport.
Some have also said that they were woken up by police officers demanding to see their tickets.
There were even reports of homeless people staying in the airport overnight, according to the survey results.
MailOnline Travel has contacted Jeddah King Abdulaziz International Airport, London Luton International Airport, Reykjavik-Keflavik International Airport, Pisa Galileo Galilei International Airport and Venice Marco Polo International Airport for comment.
70 OF THE BEST AIRPORTS TO SLEEP IN
- Singapore Changi International Airport, Singapore (SIN)
- Seoul Incheon International Airport, South Korea (ICN)
- Tallinn Lennart Meri Airport, Estonia (TLL)
- Tokyo Haneda Airport, Japan (HND)
- Helsinki-Vantaa Airport, Finland (HEL)
- Taipei Taoyuan International Airport, Taiwan (TPE)
- Osaka Kansai International Airport, Japan (KIX)
- Munich Airport, Germany (MUC)
- Vancouver International Airport, Canada (YVR)
- Vienna International Airport, Austria (VIE)
- Porto Francisco Sá Carneiro Airport, Portugal (OPO)
- Minneapolis–St. Paul International Airport, USA (MSP)
- New Delhi Indira Gandhi International Airport, India (DEL)
- Doha Hamad International Airport, Qatar (DOH)
- Zürich Airport, Switzerland (ZRH)
- Dubai International Airport, United Arab Emirates (DXB)
- Mumbai Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, India (BOM)
- Warsaw Chopin Airport, Poland (WAW)
- Portland International Airport, USA (PDX)
- Indianapolis International Airport, USA (IND)
- Hong Kong International Airport, China (HKG)
- Kuala Lumpur International Airport, Malaysia (KUL)
- Athens International Airport, Greece (ATH)
- Beirut–Rafic Hariri International Airport, Lebanon (BEY)
- Oslo Gardermoen Airport, Norway (OSL)
- Tokyo Narita International Airport, Japan (NRT)
- Amsterdam Schipol Airport, Netherlands (AMS)
- Bogota El Dorado International Airport, Colombia (BOG)
- Lyon–Saint-Exupéry Airport, France (LYS)
- Brisbane Airport, Australia (BNE)
- Copenhagen Kastrup Airport, Denmark (CPH)
- Hanoi Noi Bai International Airport, Vietnam (HAN)
- Wellington International Airport, New Zealand (WLG)
- Denver International Airport, USA (DEN)
- Lima Jorge Chávez International Airport, Peru (LIM)
- San Francisco International Airport, USA (SFO)
- Prague Václav Havel Airport, Czech Republic (PRG)
- Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport, Thailand (BKK)
- Brussels Zaventem Airport, Belgium (BRU)
- Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, USA (DFW)
- Dublin Airport, Ireland (DUB)
- Salt Lake City International Airport, USA (SLC)
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, USA (PHX)
- Nice Côte d’Azur International Airport, France (NCE)
- Stockholm Arlanda Airport, Sweden (ARN)
- Frankfurt am Main Airport, Germany (FRA)
- Orlando International Airport, USA (MCO)
- Auckland Airport, New Zealand (AKL)
- Buenos Aires Ezeiza International Airport, Argentina (EZE)
- London Heathrow Airport, United Kingdom (LHR)
- Lisbon Portela Airport, Portugal (LIS)
- Toronto Pearson International Airport, Canada (YYZ)
- Quito Mariscal Sucre International Airport, Ecuador (UIO)
- Atlanta Hartsfield–Jackson International Airport, USA (ATL)
- Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport, France (CDG)
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport, USA (CLT)
- Seattle–Tacoma International Airport, USA (SEA)
- Manchester Airport, United Kingdom (MAN)
- Madrid Barajas Adolfo Suárez Madrid–Barajas Airport, Spain (MAD)
- Moscow Sheremetyevo International Airport, Russia (SVO)
- Panama City Tocumen International Airport, Panama (PTY)
- São Paulo–Guarulhos International Airport, Brazil (GRU)
- Abu Dhabi International Airport, United Arab Emirates (AUH)
- Shanghai Pudong International Airport, China (PVG)
- Bangkok Don Mueang International Airport, Thailand (DMK)
- Milan Malpensa Airport, Italy (MXP)
- San Diego International Airport, USA (SAN)
- London Gatwick Airport, United Kingdom (LGW)
- Istanbul Atatürk Airport, Turkey (IST)
- Melbourne Tullamarine Airport, Australia (MEL)
30 OF THE WORST AIRPORTS TO SLEEP IN
- Jeddah King Abdulaziz International Airport, Saudi Arabia (JED)
- London Luton International Airport, United Kingdom (LTN)
- Reykjavik-Keflavik International Airport, Iceland (KEF)
- Pisa Galileo Galilei International Airport, Italy (PSA)
- Venice Marco Polo International Airport, Italy (VCE)
- New York City La Guardia International, USA (LGA)
- Kathmandu Tribhuvan International Airport, Nepal (KTM)
- Honolulu International Airport, USA (HNL)
- Rome Ciampino-G.B. Pastine International Airport, Italy (CIA)
- Berlin Schoenefeld International Airport, Germany (SXF)
- London Stansted Airport, United Kingdom (STN)
- Brussels South Charleroi Airport, Belgium (CRL)
- Paris Beauvais–Tillé Airport, France (BVA)
- Eindhoven Airport, Netherlands (EIN)
- Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airport, Philippines (MNL)
- Los Angeles International Airport, USA (LAX)
- Miami International Airport, USA (MIA)
- Mexico City Aeropuerto Internacional Benito Juárez, Mexico (MEX)
- Casablanca Mohammed V International Airport, Egypt (CMN)
- Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport, China (CAN)
- Perth Airport, Australia (PER)
- Chennai International Airport, India (MAA)
- Santiago de Chile Arturo Merino Benítez International Airport, Chile (SCL)
- Newark Liberty International Airport, USA (EWR)
- New York City John F. Kennedy International Airport, USA (JFK)
- Houston Intercontinental Airport, USA (IAH)
- Sydney Airport, Australia (SYD)
- Fort Lauderdale–Hollywood International Airport, USA (FLL)
- Melbourne Tullamarine Airport, Australia (MEL)
- Washington Dulles International Airport, USA (IAD)